Last year, I came up with the idea to use the relaxed freedom of summer to tackle some of the biggest books on my TBR shelf that I'd been wanting to read but never seemed to have the time for. Both of my book groups take time off during the summer, so with no interfering commitments, I declared it The Summer of the Big Book and really enjoyed delving into some hefty tomes, like The Passage and Pillars of the Earth.
It was so much fun that I thought I'd share the idea this summer and invite YOU to join me!
I have never hosted a challenge before, but I think I have figured out designing the button (see above) and how to add a links list (we'll see how this goes!)...so let's give this a try!
Hey, it's summer, so we'll keep this low-key and easy!
- Anything over 400 pages qualifies as a big book.
- The challenge will run from Memorial Day weekend (yeah, I'm running a bit late already, but it's summer!) through Labor Day weekend.
- Choose one or two or however many big books you want as your goal.
- Choose from what's on your shelves already or a big book you've been meaning to read for ages or anything that catches your eye in the library - whatever peaks your interest!
- Sign up on the links list below or on the Big Book Summer Challenge page.
- Write a post to kick things off - you can list the exact big books you plan to read or just publish your intent to participate, but be sure to include the Big Book Summer Challenge pic above, with a link back to this blog.
- Write a post to wrap up at the end, listing the big books you read during the summer.
- You can write progress posts if you want to and/or reviews of the big books you've read...but you don't have to! There will be a separate links list for big book review posts.
(Don't have a blog? No problem! You can still participate in the challenge - just leave a comment in the Comment section, stating your goals for the Big Book Summer Challenge.)
Be sure to include a link to your kick off blog post (not your homepage):