I really love picking out books to give as gifts, choosing just the right book to delight the receiver. Here are the books we gave this holiday season:
- For my brother-in-law who is a high school history teacher and loves to read: Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham. He was so excited, he took it right to an empty room ( a real challenge with 10 people in the house) and started reading as soon as we finished opening gifts!
- For my mom, who likes many of the same books I do: Arcadia by Lauren Groff, one of the top books of the year, about a boy growing up on a 70's commune in New York (we are from New York state).
- For my mom's husband, who likes nonfiction, sport, and politics: The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail but Some Don't by Nate Silver.
- The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (dying to read this one!)
- The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
- Blog, Inc. by Joy Deangdeelert Cho (watch for blog upgrades in 2013!)
- The Likeness by Tara French (he really enjoyed In the Woods)
- Ransom River by Meg Gardiner (one of Stephen King's favorite authors)
- ....and a paperback mystery/suspense novel set in Amsterdam (where he travels for business sometimes) that I can't recall the name of right now!
- The Lost Heiress by Catherine Fisher (#2 in The Dark City series)
- Merlin by Stephen Lawhead (#2 in the Pendragon Cycle series)
So, that was our bookish holiday season! How was yours?