Whew, running late today - the next few weeks are going to be nonstop busy, with lots of stress piled on top! Just dealing with a lot of things right now in our family.
Books always provide a comforting retreat - here's what we've been reading this week:
- I have been reading Tomorrow There Will Be Apricots by Jessica Soffer for a book discussion this week hosted by my local bookstore, where a local chef will prepare foods related to the book while we discuss it. The novel has been excellent - about the interaction between a teen girl who's feeling lost and unloved and an older woman who just lost her husband. Much of the book focuses on delicious-sounding Iraqi foods (both the girls' mother and the older woman are chefs), so I can't wait for lunch this week!
- Second week with no audio book going. I need to get one started, but I just haven't had time to download one or to listen.
- My husband, Ken, finished The Expats by Chris Pavone and enjoyed this modern-day spy thriller.
- Ken is now reading The Martian by Andy Weir, which I gave him for Father's Day. In fact, I gave The Martian to my husband, my dad, and my mother's husband for Father's Day! It's supposed to be the it thriller of the season, about an astronaut stuck on Mars by himself with limited equipment - sort of a McGyver meets Gravity story.
- I think that Jamie, 19, is still reading the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson on his Kindle, working on book 2, The Well of Ascension. He spent the last four days at the Firefly music festival and is sound asleep at the moment.
Trailer for The Giver movie - coming in August - looks great!
Review of Velva Jean Learns to Fly by Jennifer Niven, a historical novel set during WWII
What are you and your family reading this week?
What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers.
First Day of Summer was last week so there is still plenty of time to sign up for my Big Book Summer Challenge! You only need to read one book, 400 pages or more, this summer to participate, so join the fun!