Another hectic week with not a lot of time for reading. We went to go visit my dad who is recovering from surgery for cancer about mid-week, and then our sons took off for their other grandparents' house for their annual week on the sailboat with them. So, long days on the road for all of us. This is supposed to be my quiet get-caught-up week, but I have an out-of-state doctor's appointment today (I have Lyme disease again) and have to renew my driver's license at the DMV tomorrow - good times!
Anyway, we did manage to squeeze in some reading last week, amidst the chaos:
- I am still reading my second Big Book of the Summer, Emma, my first-ever Jane Austen novel. Those of you who told me last week to stick with it were right - I like it better now, and Emma herself is becoming more tolerable! I only have about 50 pages left.
- I finished a middle-grade audio book, P.K. Pinkerton and the Pistol-Packing Widow by Caroline Lawrence, part of a mystery series set in the Old West that I enjoyed.
- With our sons driving in a separate car, my husband and I were free to listen to an audio book on the way to Rochester! Our sons, now 16 and almost 20, don't like to listen to books with us on car trips anymore - they are all about their music. My husband and I listened to Uncaged, a teen/YA thriller by adult thriller writer John Sandford and co-author Michelle Cook. This is book one of a new series called The Singular Menace, and it's been excellent so far. We're at least 3/4 of the way through it, and it's been fast-paced and suspenseful, a great choice for a long car ride.
- My husband, Ken, finished reading Raylan by Elmore Leonard on his Kindle, a book based on the character from the Justified TV show, which he loves. We recently bought this novel for both of our fathers, and my dad was talking about it during our visit. It's been a big hit all around, and Ken enjoyed it, too!
- Jamie, 19, is still reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, author of the Mistborn trilogy that he recently enjoyed. This one is over 1200 pages and is book one of The Stormlight Archive series.
Summary of Books Read in June
Trailers for Before I Go To Sleep and Gone Girl Movies (can't wait!)
What are you and your family reading this week?
What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers.
There are still 6 weeks of summer left, so plenty of time to participate in my Big Book Summer Challenge! You only need to read one book, 400 pages or more, this summer to participate, so join the fun!If you've already signed up, remember to stop back by the challenge page to link to your Big Book reviews!